This post may contain affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy

A new year often means a reset. Setting new goals, intentions, starting with a fresh start. Having an organized approach to any part of your life can help tremendously.

I connected with a fun group of very talented ladies on Instagram where we each shared one organization tip, trick, hack, or DIY over eight days to help kick off the new year. It was that extra little push to get me started on a project I've had on my DIY project list for quite some time. A display for my collection of cutting boards.

I have an affinity for wood cutting boards... almost as much as fun mugs {I digressed} and I LOVE to keep them on display. However, "display" for the longest time meant on my kitchen counter, and let me tell ya I cannot stand a cluttered counter {another organizational project that will take place over the next couple of months}.

I didn't want to spend much on the project. At the end of the day, I only spent $27 out of pocket, and here's how:

Project List {items on hand}:

  1. Scrap beadboard from a previous bathroom project

  2. Paint from our dry bar build Sherwin Williams color Peppercorn

  3. Poplar wood {scrap wood}

  4. Liquid nail, screws, nails, spackle, and caulk, wood glue

  5. ScotchBlue adhesive masking film

  6. Frog Tape

  7. High-density foam roller

  8. Foam brush

  9. Craft paintbrush

  10. Ryobi miter saw

  11. Ryobi circular saw

  12. Ryobi nail gun

  13. Ryobi drill

  14. Ridgid multi-tool

Project List {items purchased}:

  1. Wall mount utensil bar from amazon {set of two}

  2. Three (3) MDF trim pieces from Lowe's Home Improvement - used Gift Card I received as a birthday present (no out of pocket cost)

  • 2 - 8' x 1.5" MDF trim

  • 1 - 6' x 1.5" MDF trim

1. Find a space that you can utilize. Any wall space could work or if you have an island you can use the side(s) of the island {that's what I was originally going to do} until I decided I needed more space and I wanted to showcase the new serving board my Dad handmade for me.

Here's the space I decided on. I toyed with a few other ideas for this space for a couple of years but I'm so happy with the cutting board organizational display.

2. A solid foundation is key. Any project you want to endure the test of time requires good prep it's the key to any good project. Sometimes the prep work can take as long if not longer than the actual project. Luckily this one wasn't the case. I removed the chalkboard, which was hanging with velcro command strips making the removal super simple, and removed the baseboard. I then cleaned the surface with Mrs. Meyers All Purpose Cleaner and let it dry.

3. Measure twice, cut once! I wanted to frame the space to give it a more finished look. I measured from the floor to the bottom on the moulding {because I was removing the baseboard}. From there I had to decide on the trim size that I would be using. Here comes the math part {BTW my worst subject by far}. I hope I don't lose you on this one.

I had already purchased the wall mount bar and that was 16" in length. The width of the area was 25". I subtracted the length of the bar from the width of the space (25" - 16") leaving me with 9" of area. I then divided the 9" in half leaving me with 4.5" to play with on each side for trim. So I went with a 1.5" wide trim piece that would give me leave me 3" on each side.

4. Powertools can be a gals best friend! Time to start cutting the materials to size. I cut the trim to length to fit the two outer sides first, I then had to notch out a section of the baseboard so the trim would sit flush against the wall using my Ridgid multi-tool. Once that was done I installed the outer trim pieces with a few dabs of Liquid Nail and my Ryobi nail gun. Next, I measured the inside space between the outer trim pieces to make the cuts for the bottom and top trim and installed them the same as the outer trim. Now it was time to cut the beadboard, I cut the boards so the beads were horizontal using my Ryobi circular saw. I secured each piece with Liquid Nail and the nail gun {just like the trim).

Time-lapse video of beadboard install

5. Let's add some color! Again, prepped the surface. I filled in all of the nail holes and gaps with spackle and caulk then